BoyfriendLovlie's been saying that he's been missing the pies he used to have before as a pre-vegan for a while now. At the moment we are both looking for jobs and staying up late (very late even!) doing applications. I hope we find something soon, ideally before Christmas. To keep us going and satisfy our hunger pang, I baked these at 3am during the weekend and we both ate them afterwards! You can make them quicker if you already have some frozen pastry dough but I made the dough myself. If you have some left over curry, that'll do as well.
Ingredients (for 6 large pies):
For the dough:
2 ½ cups self-raising flour
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
10 - 11 tablespoons water (or as needed to form a soft non-sticky dough)
For the curry filling:
1 medium-sized carrot, finely chopped
1 can chickpeas
1 can peas
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder (or fresh minced ginger)
1 tablespoon mild curry powder (or hot, if you like it spicy!)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt to taste
Handful of coriander/spring onions (chopped), any herbs as desired (optional)
Soymilk for glazing
Water as needed to cook
To make the dough:
- Mix the oil with the flour. Work with the fingers until flour ressembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add water and knead to form a nice and smooth dough. (The dough should not be sticky.)
- Divide into 6 balls.
For the filling:
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Add onions, garlic, ginger, curry powder and garam masala.
- Let roast for about 5 minutes, adding a little water to avoid burning.
- Add chickpeas and carrots. Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little water if required.
- Mash chickpeas lightly while cooking. (You can mash them more if you prefer. I like them well mashed within the pie).
- Add the peas. Add enough water to have a thick consistency (neither watery nor dry).
- Add herbs.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before filling in the pastries.
- To make the pies, roll each ball flat (on a floured surface) to about 14 cm in diameter.
- Place some curry on one side, leave enough space around the border.
- Fold in half and close by pressing along the edge with a fork.
- Glaze with some soy milk and bake for 30 minutes (or until golden) at 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Farenheit) on a baking tray. (Or you can also deep fry them. But do not glaze with soymilk if you are deep frying!)
The ones in the picture have been deep fried. But I baked some for lunch the following day and they were much nicer!
People who've tried this recipe:
Krys from Two Vegan Boys