I remember the first time I went to
Sliced beans just taste so much better from whole ones! Sliced beans are also great eaten raw in salads.
For today, I sautéed them in a bit of olive oil and mustard seeds. This is so quick and easy. And so tasty too!
Ingredients (4 servings)
1 red onion sliced
2 teaspoons whole mustard seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt to taste
- Cut ends of beans and slice using a bean slicer. (Discard the strings that will come off).
- In a non-stick deep pan on medium, add the olive oil.
- Add onions and mustard seeds. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add green beans and stir to thoroughly mix oil with beans.
- Cover and cook on low to medium heat until beans are tender. (You don’t want to cook them to death as they will lose flavour. I usually just cook them halfway through. Switch off heat. Cover and let stand for a while. The steam will cook the beans slightly more leaving them still crisp.)
- Add salt to taste. (Do not add salt while cooking as this will cause a lot of water to come out of the beans making them soft and soggy).